- The Texas A&M Aggies lost to Appalachian State putting Jimbo Fisher on the hot seat.
- Fisher is the favorite to be the next coach fired, with -120 odds.
- However, he has more than $80 million remaining on his contract, all of which is fully guaranteed.
COLLEGE STATION, Texas- The Texas A&M Aggies lost to Appalachian State on Saturday, making Jimbo Fisher the most likely coach to be fired.
Next Coach to Permanently Leave Their Position
- Jimbo Fisher (Texas A&M) -120
- Jeff Scott (South Florida) +600
- David Shaw (Stanford) +650
- Geoff Collins (Georgia Tech) +650
- Karl Dorrell (Colorado) +900
- Marcus Freeman (Notre Dame) +900
- Scot Loeffler (Bowling Green) +900
- Butch Jones (Arkansas State) +1400
- Ken Niumatalolo (Navy) +1400
- Steve Sarkisian (Texas) +1600
Jimbo would likely be a leading candidate for NFL jobs should any open up during the season.
The problem with any scenario that involves Fisher being fired is that his contract was renewed only last year.
It currently lasts until 2031, and would require some form of buyout from Texas A&M if they wanted him to get going before then.
The entire contract is fully guaranteed, with an average annual value of 9.5 million per year remaining.
In other words, if he is fired at any point, he will be owed the entire value of his contract. At this point, that number is north of $80 million.
Despite all of this, Fisher still leads the odds to be the first coach fired, but the logistics of it make it very unlikely.
Nearly every single head coach on this list is significantly easier to get rid of than Jimbo Fisher, and it’s a testament to the deep pockets of Aggies boosters that the online betting sites believe it is possible
Could Jimbo Fisher Jump to the NFL?
Before the season, some sportsbooks released odds on which NFL coach would be the first to be fired in the 2022 season.
Preseason First NFL Coach Fired Odds
- Matt Rhule (Panthers) +225
- Pete Carroll (Seahawks) +350
- Mike McCarthy (Cowboys) +600
- Ron Rivera (Commanders) +700
- Frank Reich (Colts) +800
- Kevin Stefanski (Browns) +900
- Mike Vrabel (Titans) +1400
- Dan Campbell (Lions) +1400
These are the spots that are most likely to have a vacancy that Jimbo Fisher, fresh out of College Station, could fill.
The Carolina Panthers and Seattle Seahawks top the list, but neither of them are settled situations, and with $80 million coming to him, Fisher could afford to wait for a job that would provide him with a good chance to succeed.
The Dallas Cowboys, third on this list, might be a reasonable destination, with Dak Prescott as an established top-level NFL quarterback.
However, Fisher’s firing at Texas A&M might tar him in the minds of Cowboys fans, as there is significant overlap between the two fanbases.
The only other team on this list with an established top-level quarterback is the Cleveland Browns. Coach Kevin Stefanski signed a five-year deal in 2020, and won Coach of the Year that year, but they’ve struggled since.
If Jimbo Fisher is fired, he will likely become one of the top targets on the coaching market. Whether or not he feels the desire to coach after he gets an $80 million payout is another question entirely.
BettingSuperBowl.com may receive a commission from any purchases you make through link on our site. This enables us to offer you the best free content and news about Super Bowl Betting.
Maxwell joined the BettingSuperBowl team in 2019 and is thrilled to be working for a website that so mirrors his interests. Maxwell is an avid follower of sports, a consumer of sports gambling news, and seeks to constantly better himself and his readers.